Chicken Zucchini Alfredo Pasta with Tomato, Mozzarella, Basil Bruschetta
A simple and delicious Italian meal is a corner piece to every household’s menu, but no one wants the same pasta over and over again so I decided to try this new recipe out.
For anyone who loves zucchini this is a great pasta option for you. It was pretty simple to make, if you are in a rush you can buy packaged alfredo sauce (I suggest the refrigerated type). But if you do make your own sauce you’ll be saving yourself some calories, ladies. ;)
Chicken Zucchini Alfredo Pasta Recipe
Serving Size: 4
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 4-ounce thin skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Freshly ground pepper
12 ounces fettuccine
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup cold low-fat milk (1%)
1/2 cup evaporated nonfat milk
3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Bring water for pasta to boil
- Cut 2 zucchini thinly, into half-moons
- Slice 4 4-ounce chicken breasts into strips
- Chop 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 clove garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini, cover and cook until tender, stirring, for about 6 minutes.
- Once done transfer to a bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. (Make things easier and reuse the same skillet from the zucchini)
- Season the chicken with a salt and pepper.
- Cook through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Cook pasta in the boiling water as the label directs
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water;return the pasta to the pot. (The cooking water adds a lot of flavor to the pasta)
(Note: I was in a rush so I bought alfredo sauce. I got the Buitoni Refrigerated Sauce and it was DELICIOUS!)
- Whisk the flour and low-fat milk in a bowl.
- Place the remaining 1 clove garlic and 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the flour-milk mixture and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add the evaporated milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cheese.
- Stir to melt for about 1 minute.
- Now it’s time to mix everything in together. Add the chicken, zucchini, pasta and the reserved pasta water.
Tomato, Mozzarella, Basil Bruschetta Recipe
Serving Size: about 36 slices
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 (32-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
1 cup fresh basil leaves, washed and spun dry
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, peeled
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large French baguettes, sliced 1-inch thick (about 36 slices)
1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add 1 (32 ounce) can of whole tomatoes, 1 cup basil leaves, 4 tablespoons olive oil, salt & pepper, and 2 cloves garlic into food processor and pulse.
- Meanwhile, on a baking sheet slice 1-inch thick slices of bread.
- Toast the bread for about 3 minutes-until lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and then rub remaining garlic on the toasted side of the bread.
- Add 1/4-inch slices of mozzarella cheese to each piece of bread.
- Then place it back in the over for another minute or until the cheese begins to melt.
- Finally add the tomato basil sauce to the toast and some basil leaves for garnish.